Well, let me first start by saying that "Loving - Kindness" is so not happening for me this week. I've been in a terrible funk and I know that my overall demeanor has been less than desirable. Why? I really don't know but I know it's been one of those weeks where everyone and everything has irritated me!!! I apologized in advanced to one of my team members in case I was coming across short or snappy. I need to snap out of it. I'll need to re-visit my "Loving - Kindness" practice.....
What is meant by "Mental Workout" is same as a "physical workout". We need to train, strengthen, and develop our minds with the same effort that we put into our physical body. Dacher points out that we neglect our minds. Our minds need the same nourishment and attention that we give to other aspects of our lives. I know that for myself I have never thought of training my mind. I guess I've always assumed that it's there and all the inner networking would take care of itself. I think back to high school and that we didn't learn about any of this. Maybe because it wasn't much researched or even discussed. Or that meditation and other mind - body techniques have not been part of conventional medicine and viewed as hocus pocus. I believe that there has been enough research and evidence to support the benefit of training the mind. It ought to be part of school curriculum ~ incorporate it with P.E.
I agree with you completely Kandi. Personally I find it sad that I am learning such valuable information regarding human flourishing so late in life. I feel like if I had been introduced to meditation and other forms of relaxation techniques at a young age I might be a little more bilogically healthy. After two failed cervical surgeries I recently learned I will have to undergo yet another one. However, as I continue my journey toward integral health I pray that all of my growth (psychospiritual, worldly, interpersonal, and biologically) thus far will pay off and I may heal from the inside out. This is my reminder to teach my children that there are other forms of healing that don't require a scalpel and a perscription.
ReplyDelete